Monday, December 19, 2011

tears (cheers) for the holidays!


December has always been the busiest month of the year. Dinners, shopping and parties everywhere. Our office party’s theme this year is Masquerade Ball. Being the newbie in the company and the "bibo" kid that I am, I was chosen to be part of the committee. We were incharge in the preparation for the party and have to make sure that everything will run smoothly on the "big" day. I was also tasked to host the party that night.

Highlight of the party is the Division’s presentation cum competition. Our Division Head assigned me to lead the group. WTF, it’s as if being a committee member and hosting the party is not enough, I will have to lead a pack of 30 kids (including myself) – I call them kids as most of them are younger than me. After almost 3 weeks of preparation – yes that’s how big the presentation was and that’s how important it is as part of the Christmas Party, things are slowly getting into my nerve and tolling on me. Officemates have noticed the change from being Mr. Nice guy to Mr. Bad Guy – good pa din naman. Sungit lang ng kaunti due to the child-like and childish attitudes of some members of the group.

Last night of practice was hell night. I am really tired, after an almost whole day meeting with the committee, interviewing an applicant, meeting with the bosses. As what everyone would say, lowbat na ako during our rehearsal. I wasn’t able to check my phone not until I got home and this is what a very good friend from the office (who knows my sero-positive status) texted me:

"Teh naramdaman ko hirap at pagod mo. Bilib ako sa’yo. Nagagawa mo lahat yan despite what you’re going through. Wag mo pabayaan sarili mo. Ingat pag-uwi. God Bless unselfish people like you."

(Friend, I can feel that you’re tired and fatigued. I admire you. You can still do all those things despite what you’re going through, Take good care of yourself. Take care going home. God Bless unselfish people like you) – this is my best translation of her message. Hahaha!

Anyhow, what do I say to that? I am speechless. I never thought that someone would notice those simple gestures. I never complained about going home late and being tired during our practices. I don’t want to give them any hint that I am sick. And that deep inside, I want to breakdown and cry.

After a few minutes, I simply replied "Thank you. I was given the task; I have to do it. Kaya naman."

That simple message of appreciation brought tears to my eyes. I haven’t cried since opening up with my sister about my status. Not until last week. And this is a good reason to cry.

To you, I have already said how much I appreciate your kind words. Thank you very much.

By the way, our party was a blast. Our senior officers enjoyed the show and I received nice words and review from hosting the program. Our group finished third. Not bad.

Happy holidays everyone. Enjoy the festivities. Stay safe and healthy always.


No comments:

Post a Comment