Sunday, August 14, 2011

confined


It is not the ARV's  that sent me to the hospital. It is my prop - azithro. Saturday last week, I was really feverish. I even woke up late, late to hear the mass on Sunday at 6am. My day went on as usual, after hearing the mass, I had breakfast and took my meds (I take my ARV's at 9am). Before lunch I took my azithro, at first I felt nothing not until after an hour when I felt like my stomach twitched.  I tried to ignore at first thinking that it will just go away, just like before. 

The following day, I reported for work having stomach pains and feeling a little nauseated. I would visit the restroom every two hours to vomit. As soon as I got home I called my Doctor, I was scheduled for check up Wednesday last week but it was moved a day earlier because of my condition. She actually wanted me to go to the hospital and have myself admitted as I might get dehydrated. But I told her I wanted to see her first so she can check me. I can still manage. 7am the following day I was already at the lobby of SAGIP waiting for my Doctor. She ordered a series of lab tests. Results were all normal but she still wants me to be admitted so I won’t get dehydrated. I asked if I can be confined in the hospital near our place. She gave me an endorsement letter to her consultant who will visit me in the hospital. 

After almost a day of waiting – no rooms available since Tuesday night. I finally got admitted at quarter past six in the evening. Doctor/Consultant came to visit me that night and checked my lab tests, he said everything is normal, and what I am going through right now is “drug induced gastritis”. Azithro it is!  On Doc’s second visit, we had a small chat. And he told me that given my low CD4 count I have to be careful. We cannot just stop the prop but instead we have to change the way I am taking it, either lower the dosage or take it once a day for three consecutive days. We went for the latter.  Doc was very nice and pleasant. He even told me that he doesn’t want me to stay longer in the hospital. So he sent me home on the third day.

I was given antacid for my stomach. Nevirapine was increased to two tabs a day starting yesterday. Wednesday I’ll be seeing my Doctor for follow up check up. So far, friends na kami ng Nevirapine. I hope that there will be no more side effects.

I remembered lang, the last time I was hospitalized was almost more than a decade ago. And I’m hoping and praying that never again, will I be confined.

No comments:

Post a Comment