Monday, July 11, 2011

Sugar Coated

Finally, I was able to talk to my parents and told them by health condition, only it was sugar coated.

Sister came up with a good idea, "Tell Mom, but just tell her about your weak immune system and that just like other maintenance drug (hypertension, diabetes) you need to take one for life".  No drama, no crying, no elaborate details. We even came up with a plan, kids will be joining us for lunch so that mood will be light and that they will not ask for details.


Me: "Ma, I had a follow up check up, and I was told that my immune system is weak. Mas madali ako kapitan ng sakit. Pero may ibibigay na gamot, parang sa highblood/diabetes, maintenance na. For life."

Ma: "Naku, mag-iingat ka."

Me: "Opo naman. Eto pala yung mga bawal na food sa akin..."


And with that, I was able to tell my parents my health condition. In a way I was relieved. Although there's always that guilty feeling that they have to know the bigger picture. But they are old enough to worry and completely understand my condition. With my sister and friends behind me, I know I'll get through.

I'll get by with a little help from my friends. And the wonder of prayers.

2 comments:

  1. my dad is 77, my mom is 74, matatanda na rin... im still not sure if i should tell them... i dont want them to worry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a guilt feeling pag minsan nag-uusap kami ng mom ko and she's asking me how I am. I mean after ko ma-hospital due to gastritis. Pero I think that it's better this way. At least my sister knows. Sabi nga, "There are things that won't hurt you if you didn't know."

    ReplyDelete