Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hurray for 2day!


(Spare me, thoughts are incoherent probably due to Efav…)

May 21, 2013 exactly two years ago when I learned about my HIV status.  Today I celebrate my second “rebirth”-day.  I vaguely remember how scared I was when I learned about being HIV positive. All I can think of at that time was death.  Two years after, I proved myself wrong. Here I am, very much alive and kicking and in the pink of health.

Life has never been better. Left foot is now completely healed after the operation last June 2012.  In a month’s time, I will be done with the TB meds.  That would mean lesser pill to take.  A couple of months ago, I was able to disclose my status to my closest cousin.  Everything is falling into the right place.

It is not just my second rebirth, tomorrow Love and I will be celebrating our 3rd month of being together. And we are both looking forward to many more months and years of understanding, caring and loving each other.

But how do we really measure our life, regardless of our HIV status. I guess, nothing is more fitting than these lines from the theme song of one of my favorite movies:

How do we measure a year in a life?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.

Five Hundred Twenty Five Thousand journeys to plan.
How do you measure the life of a woman or man?
In truths that she learned,
Or in times that he cried.
In bridges he burned, or the way that she died.

Love is a gift from up above.
Share love, give love, spread love.
Measure your life in love.

Regardless of our HIV status, positive or negative.  Regardless if it is our rebirth or not, what’s important is how we treat others and how we live our lives.  I remembered saying this to a college friend: “I am not perfect, marami din sumama ang loob sa akin at nakatampuhan ko. Pero alam ko na mas marami ang iiyak pag nawala ako.”   We will only pass this earth once, whatever good we can do, we must do. However small our act is, we must try.  At the end of the day, at the end of it all, we will be judged not by what we have but what we have done and what we have become.  Let us strive to do more and give more.  

There’s only one gift that I would ask from our Creator now, to give me more healthy and fruitful years for me to be able to help and inspire others and to serve Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment