Monday, August 27, 2012

SET (Band) of Brothers




This has been another productive weekend for me. I felt that I have accomplished a lot of things. 

Good thing I decided to join the Self Empowerment Training (SET) of RITM.  SET is originally for RITM patients only, but they accommodated and allot slot for patients from other hubs (PGH, SLH and others). SET is actually a training/seminar for people living with HIV (PLHIV) especially those newly diagnosed who are having a hard time understanding and accepting their situation.

From the name of the training: Self Empowerment, after two days you are expected to slowly but surely understand and accept your situation. Take the driver’s seat and take control of your life.

Here are the few things that I have learned and enjoyed this weekend:

·         It all starts with acceptance.
·         Each of us has our ways of coping with things.
·         We learn from other people’s story.
·         Positive Self Image
·         I’m ok, you’re ok.
·         You have a lot of potential all you have to do is believe in yourself.
·         You define your own happiness.
·         The virus will not define us, our attitude on accepting and managing it will do.
·         The Power in Me – I have lots of good attitude, traits, qualities and I am proud of it.
·         What I am now is a product of my past. What I will become is a product of what I will do today.
·      We can still do things: Make our dreams come true and achieve our goals. With GOD as our guide.
·         Room 409
·         Ms. Singapore
·         Ms. Japan
·         Ms. Echusera
·         Cherifer for Ms. Japan
·         Solanie Hotel
·         INSPIRED!

The list could go on. But what I really enjoyed most is the experience of getting to know 14 other people of the same status. Sharing, listening and learning from each other. In just two days, I have gained new friends that I know I will keep for life. New friends to draw inspiration from, to go on and give this battle a good fight.

I am happy that through SET, I was also able to share my experiences and some of the things that I have gone through. I hope that in my own little way I was also able to inspire them as much as they inspired me. Now you probably know what our word for the day is, yes, INSPIRED! Because just hearing the stories from these AMAZING guys will inspire you to go on with life, dream big and make it come true.

To my SET Brothers, I am very happy to have met all of you. I learned a lot from you. You inspired me and I hope that I have done the same for you. You made me laugh. I really had a good time. Sorry, I have to leave for my first Big Fish event last Saturday. I know I missed a lot of kulitan. Let’s do it again soon? Just always remember, you don’t have to go through this alone. We are here for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment